Sunday, May 10, 2015

Superfood Cacao Protein Smoothie!

I confess.

I eat chocolate every day.

The other day, I was reading this article about how cacao is slowly killing us because it's got a load of stuff in - hmmm, I didn't buy it. Yes, over consumption may be bad for us but a little bit can't harm you... can it? I believe that the pure form of chocolate - cacao - is such a good natural energiser with a ton of antioxidants. And it tastes really, REALLY good, which helps.

This smoothie is the perfect breakfast, pre or post workout snack, afternoon pick me up or even a dessert. I've just guzzled it after a short yoga session to de stress about exams and it has worked a treat, AND boosted my protein intake for the day.

If you are a vegan, or even vegetarian or don't eat dairy/animal products, you probably have experienced people saying you won't get your protein. I get this on a weekly - sometimes daily occurrence and it pisses me right off. There are countless websites and pictures that show you you don't need beef and milk to get muscles and stay healthy, so I won't bore you but basically, us veggies aren't always nutrient deficient. That being said, if you are looking to get some girl gains, or guy gains, it doesn't hurt to oomph up the protein with a protein powder. I know, the two dreaded words for someone trying to eat completely plant based! But it's okay - there are alternative protein powders that are basically just ground up versions of the original form, for example hemp protein powder!
If you get the good, natural and unprocessed stuff, it's just ground hemp seeds which makes it easier to pop into whatever food you want. Some people say it's got a grassy taste, but I like it and don't notice any weird flavour but there are also pea proteins, rice proteins or even soy proteins. I would just say it's best to stick to what you know and get the natural stuff. If you do eat dairy, just give the whey protein stuff a second thought - sometimes those powders contain nasty ingredients that upset your body.

Hemp protein powder contains around 30 calories per tbsp with 5 grams of protein and 13% of your daily iron intake - HAPPY BEANIE, RIGHT HERE! And let's not forget that depending on your milk of choice, that'll give you a boost of protein, as will the peanut butter - it's fab! Adjust this recipe to your dietary requirments by all means, but this is it:

INGREDIENTS
  • 1tbsp raw cacao
  • 1tbsp hemp protein powder (right now I'm using this brand)
  • 1 cup of almond/soya/hemp/rice milk (I used half Rude Health almond milk, which is more like rice milk and half alpro unsweetend almond milk - rice milk makes it super creamy and sweet)
  • 1 frozen banana
  • a dash of cinnamon
  • 1tsp of peanut butter (I use this brand - also, boost up to 1-2tbsp if you want, it depends if you want a creamy shake or a more peanut buttery shake. Also use any nut butter you desire)
  • opt: 1tsp of maca powder
  • opt: 1tsp cacao nibs to top
Blend and drink! Happy vegan gains everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment